Monday, February 16, 2009

The Ladies Seat

Aug 14th 2008
Location: Kempegowda Bus Station aboard KSRTC Airavath (Bangalore to Goa)
Time: About 8 in the evening
Drenched in cold rain water, A trolley bag in right hand & a handbag in the left. Exhausted, tired & on the way to my first journey ALONE to Goa!

“Excuse me, I think you are on the wrong seat. This is a ladies seat!”. A sleepy, drenched man, in his early 30s looks up sheepishly at me from his half-covered blanket.

“No ma’am. You seem to be seriously mistaken. Neither is this a ladies seat, nor am I on the wrong seat!”

“Hey, that can’t be. I ASKED for a ladies seat!” He pointed me towards the conductor.

I stormed towards the front side of the bus. This was my first ever trip to Goa from Bangalore & I was travelling alone ! Since it was a long weekend, the tickets had been very difficult to get & a cousin bro had somehow managed to get me a ticket on this special bus. I’d paid twice the price of the actual ticket to get on this bus. The bus was already late by an hour or so, it’d been raining cats & dogs since the evening & getting to Majestic had been quite an experience in itself & I was too exhausted & angry to tolerate any more crap for the day.

I flashed my ticket to the conductor-“ Mera Ladies seat hain aur ek aadmi wahan pe baitha hain!”.I raised my voice to show my frustration.
”Madam, calm down. We’ll sort the matter.” He assured me. He had one long look at the ticket -“Madam, bus mein ladies seat toh sirf seat no.7 aur 8 hain. Aapka toh general seat hain! Abhi aap jaa ke apne seat mein baith jaaiye. The bus is about to start.”

I was shocked! How could this happen?How the hell was I going to travel to Goa , all alone, sitting next to a stranger, A man????This is NOT happening to me! I had clearly told my cousin that I wanted a ladies seat & only a ladies seat. I'm going to get my seats exchanged. I was so lost in my thinking that I didn't realize when the bus started moving & I got back to the hard reality. A long look around the bus made it clear, getting seats exchanged was going to be out of question. The bus was packed with people. I cursed my fate & slowly walked back to my seat with my luggage. All kinds of thoughts were crossing my mind. I was scared. I promised to myself- I'm going to stay awake all night!

By the time I'd reached my seat, the sleepy, drenched man (my co-passenger) was wide awake & out of his blanket. That's the first time I saw his face properly. He was a guy in his mid thirties. He looked descent but then I didn't want to take any chances with strangers. I was new to the city. It had been barely a month! I didn't know the local language.How can you trust anyone just like that? He gave me a faint smile as I approached my seat. "Hey, I don't mind exchanging the seat if your friend wants to sit next to you.Don't worry & be comfortable!". I didn't smile back.

"I don't have a friend and I guess I have no choice but to sit here!", I said with a frown. I dialed my mom's number & poured out everything to her.She told me to calm down & that everything would be fine. But at that time those words hardly made any difference. I kept the phone & was just trying to settle down when my co-passenger suddenly spoke up again-"Goenkar?". I nodded. "Hanvuy bi ( I too am a Goan)".

Those two words made quite a difference. I gave out a sigh of relief. Thank God, at least he is someone from my hometown, someone who speaks my language. He introduced himself. Goa is a small place & its not too tough to find some common link. His cousin happened to be my senior at college.He started a conversation to break the ice. He was an engineer, working with an MNC in Blore. As our conversation went ahead, I realized that he wasn't all that bad as I'd thought in the first place. I don't know what it was, but it didn't take much time for me to start feeling comfortable in his company & I didn't think twice before discussing some personal things. He loved talking, just like me & we both were engrossed in our talks. I forgot for a moment about the struggle I had to go through to reach the bus-station, the irritating rains which had drenched me & my luggage, the bus which had been an hour late & most important of all, that we were total strangers! We had so many things to discuss like we were some old lost pals who had met after an eternity! The journey was turning out to be fun!

Sixteen hours had passed by just like that and the journey had come to an end.The bus reached Margao bus stop. I got down, we exchanged numbers & promised to call each other up & meet often in Blore but I think we both knew somewhere deep below, that once we'd get busy in our own personal lives, staying in touch would be just impossible. That was the last I saw of him. We did message for a few months, there used to be occasional calls, which reduced with time.

How often do you come across a stranger with whom you share some things, you'd even hesitate to discuss with your friends? When you forget all the rules our elders told us about not talking to strangers.. I didn't sleep the whole night, as I'd thought. Only now, the reason was different. The Ladies Seat had made all the difference!

13 comments:

Somebody said...

Hmmm.. now thats an experience which every girl/lady goes through while travelling.... Its like LIFE keeps assuring us that afterall its not so bad... hehe .. gr8 writing and way to go gal!!! cheers!!!

Akshay Sangodkar said...

Such experiences are so wierd that they are both good as well as bad.. Unique things happen whenever we travel alone.. This blog has started with a bang... Keep it up!

Di said...

I'm glad u guys liked my writing. Thanks for all the kind words!

Unknown said...

Its kind of difficult to judge a person by their looks.. you blog just reminds me that!
we all do have experiences but it not easy to put in words.
Wonderful writing!! and looking forward to your next one :)

Siddhi said...

hey Di!!
Good one... liked the opening n made me speed up my reading as I was keen in konwing what happened for the rest of the journey; visualizing you n your experiance as i read through!
Lifes full of such different experiances... way to go gurl... waitin to read a lot more from you

Raghu Bale said...

Life is about taking chances..u allayed ur apprehensions and it paid off. It brilliantly elucidates on how we need to go beyond our prejudices and conditioning and judge people.Thought-provoking stuff!..can't wait for ur next write-up. And i couldn't agree with Akshay more,it has indeed started with a bang. Kudos!!

Di said...

I'm overwhelmed by all the responses that I've received for my first post. Thank you so much, guys. It is indeed very motivating! Thanks one & all!

Kiran said...

First things first: I agree totally with Akshay and Raghu - this blog is off with a bang. Liked your writing style - especially the "where is this heading" kind of .. suspense! Keep 'em coming.

Speaking of experiences, I suppose it must be really unnerving for a gal to even imagine she has to spend a 15-hour journey next to a man who is a total stranger. But that (and the fact that the journey turned out to be much more pleasant than expected) doesn't absolve you of the crime (if I may call it that :D) of prejudice. After all, it was not his fault that he had to sit next to a girl!

And this is not at all an uncommon scenario in flights - even medium distance (like 4-5 hour ones). One experience I can recount is when I was flying Lucknow to Delhi (about 1 hour flight), and there was this girl sitting in the "middle" seat next to my aisle seat. I could sense straightaway that she was uncomfortable, the way she was squirming in her seat. First thing I did was exchange my seat with her so she would be aisle and not in the middle. That dint help either. I ended up being uncomfortable myself in an attempt to make her feel comfy!

I kept thinking - why was she behaving that way? Was it ME? I think not .. I was going out of my way to make her feel at ease. I think it was stereotype or maybe a mental block which was the reason.

Akshay Sangodkar said...

I definitely agree with Kiran and looking at the response "The ladies seat" has touched hearts. I remember once I was on a flight from Hyderabad to Pune. And it was quite opposite and somewhat crazy thing that happened to me. It was a small plane so only two seats on each side of the aisle. A girl happened to sit besides me. It was a two hours flight and she was very tired i guess. She was dreaming almost instantly once the flight took off. She would fall left, right and even in the front as the flight changed its direction. I should say I was quite uncomfortable. Suddenly, she realised she had fallen everywhere except the place where she was supposed to sit, and woke up. When I was finally catching some sleep, I suddenly heard a "HI!". I was startled but was alright once we talked for a while. We exchanged phone numbers and agreed to stay in contact. Although, we eventually didn't. :-)

Di said...

@Kiran:We Indian girls are always told to be extra-cautious when travelling alone.And I dont blame our elders for this, the crime rate against women is so alarmingly high in our country that I really dont think its very safe nowadays to trust the stranger sitting next to you! My co-passenger turned out to be a nice guy but it was still a 50-50 chance that I was taking while sitting next to him, isnt it?
So dont you think our behavior was justified ;-)?

Di said...

@Akshay:You can probably start your own blog with this experience. The post could be titled something like "The Aisle Seat" ;-)

Kiran said...

Di,

Well .. if you put it that way .. yes .. I do agree with you. In essence - I'd rather choose safety over ideology, especially in such situations!

Janaki Sincro Mulay said...

i njoyed reading d story, u had ofcourse told me abt it, soon after it had happened, bt its nice to read it again!