Sunday, May 31, 2009

Cleaning up my closet

It was one of those lazy Saturday evenings. I didn't have any particular thing to do for the day. After waking up at 11 in the afternoon & having a breakfast at 12:30 followed by lunch at 4pm, you can pretty much imagine how my day was going. It is one of these kind of days when I log in to Orkut. Orkut is a great time pass. You can flip through your friend's photo albums, check out their testimonials & scrapbooks. You don't realize how time flies in doing such completely irrelevant activities but you still enjoy them so much.

Flipping through a friends' profile, I came across a profile of someone whom I knew once upon a time, someone who used to be good friends with me once upon a time, and today when I just fumbled upon this profile in my friend's friend circle, it felt so strange. The distance between us had grown so much that now I was even hesitating to send a friend request! I felt as if a lifetime had passed by & we were complete strangers to each other now.

I was angry with myself. I still missed the beautiful bond I once shared with this person. I do not know what our differences were which got us so apart. But things were ended on such an abrupt note that I realized there was still a part of me which was yearning for that friendship! There was still something that was eating me from within. I wanted to get back and re-live all those memories, leaving aside our individual egos. Someone had to do it. I have always believed that life is too short to waste living with such grudges so I decided to take the first step to sorting things out.

I picked up the phone. Called up the common friend. She herself was surprised to hear from me after such a long time. I had gotten so busy with my life that keeping in touch was a thing of the past. After our initial exchange of "how have you been", "hows work","lets meet up sometime", I finally came to the point.
"Do you have ...'s number or email address?". She was surprised but then she also knew I would not have called her without some motive.
She promptly passed the number to me. I thanked her and hanged up.

I picked up the phone and dialed the number. The phone started ringing and my heart started beating harder with every ring. I was still speculating how this person would reciprocate.What should be my opening line? Would ... recognize my voice after all these years? There were a million questions in my mind and the phone was still ringing.

Tring...Tring....Tring...

"Hey, don't you have office today? Its already 9 am!"
"What are you staring at me for?Get up, you lazy bum!"
I opened my eyes and suddenly realized that the phone wasn't ringing but my alarm clock was.It was 9 am on a Monday morning and I was still in bed and my room-mate was shouting at me from the other end of the room.

Oh Gosh, the whole thing was a dream after all.I was disappointed.
And it just occurred to me that I didn't manage to clean up my closet after all :-(!

11 comments:

Kiran said...

Aww .. bummer ... I was dying to know how the person reciprocated ..
This no fair ..you have no right to keep us in suspense this way and then end up in an anti-climax..
I demand that you use your imagination to complete this story .. and elaborate it for us .. how it might have proceeded :D

On a more serious note:
1) Excellent writing .. you had me riveted to the screen
2) Even better topic. I have lost touch with so many close friends - for various reasons .. but you are right .. life is way too short to be wasting on these silly excuses.
Maybe I'l take this as a hint and call up some of my old friends!

BTW .. I have heard many people say they have "grown out of" orkut. Not me. For me, it is still the primary method of keeping in touch with so many old friends .. even "rediscovering" some of them if you know what I mean. Leaving "how are you" "life's as usual" scraps is not the only use of orkut. The "updates" feature if used sensibly can be a very helpful way of knowing what friends are up to or of announcing what you are yourself up to to others!

Coming back to the topic of this post - I remember there was once an email which described how friendships break. It was roughly
1) A and B were good friends .. but once they got into different companies, they sort of drifted apart
2) A thought of calling B, but then thought B will be busy, why to disturb him. Ditto with B
3) As time went by, A thought B does not want to continue the friendship anymore. He interpreted B's silence as his ego. "Why should I call first? Let him call". Ditto with B
..and so on and so forth.

And thats how the friendship came to an end.

I sincerely hope this does not happen with me! I value my friends and friendships .. and would hate to see this happen!

Unknown said...

good one!!!
i reached half way and was wondering what the title has to do with the story..and then it was quite evident.
loved the ending... way to go writer! :)

Di said...

@Kiran:All my previous posts have had a straight forward ending but this time, I wanted to try something different.So I came up with a story which was partly fiction and partly real.The anti-climax at the end keeps the reader pondering about what may have happened and if I had to just give out the ending, it would be no different from my other posts :-)!

I'm glad you enjoyed reading it and thanks so much for all your valuable inputs!

Di said...

@Melvin: Thanks so much, dear.I need motivating readers like you to boost my morale so that I can improve with every post! :-)

Akshay Sangodkar said...

I agree with Kiran.. I was so drawn into the story and when it was at its peak, it was abruptly cut short! I want you to go and dream tonight again and complete the story... Otherwise your closet will remain unclean! :-)

CSP said...

Boy!! you are a dam good writer yaar.. keep going.. I may start writing the blogs inspired by your posts :)

Di said...

@Akshay: Sorry, sweetheart. My dreams do not repeat ;-) so we will have to stay with this anti-climax ending as for now!
@CSP: Welcome to the blogging world and glad you liked my post!

Janaki Sincro Mulay said...

oh wow!
this is a really good post!

it was like u were writing my story! all of us have such a story in our life, dont we?

i read it twice, half d time i was trying to guess who this person is tht u r talking abt, n i knw partially!:)

Di said...

@Janaki:Partially? I thought you would guess the person immediately ;-)!

Janaki Sincro Mulay said...

yeah! i do knw it!
a word of advice: its not worth getting back in contact with some people! u knw u had a difference of opinion once, then y try to match views again?

bhavin said...

hahaha, good post! I wonder why does it always happen that the things which end our dreams in the morning are so well timed and integrated in our dream as something else? like the alarm clock and phone ring!
(still better than the childhood dreams ending with joy of relieving bladder pressure in a nice cool loo, when in reality u r still in the bed!)
hahaha

good write-up
:)